At Munroe Regional Medical Center Dr. Overcash is one of only four on the east coast trained in a unique procedure that claims to result in weight loss.
The Stomaphyx procedure goes through the mouth and doesn't require any inscisions. Instead, the stomach is folded with small plastic sutures.
The entire process is watched on a monitor.
"Traditionally, we would do that with surgery to shrink the pouch. But, the problem with that is that 5% of them will leak and there's a 20% mortality rate," said Dr. Todd Overcash of Muroe Regional Medical Center.
The procedure costs around $10,000, which is about $15,000 less than a traditional gastric bypass surgery.
- Your Health: Treating Concussions
- Your Health: Alzheimer's Awareness Month
- Your Health: Beating Breast Cancer
- Your Health: The Role Genetic Counseling Can Play in the Fight Against Breast Cancer
- Your Health: Can Probiotics Hurt You?
- Your Health: Research Suggests Reflux May Be A Problem For Sleeve Patients
- Your Health: Plastic Surgery After Weight Loss Part 2
- Your Health: Managing Depression During the Holidays
- Your Health: Fighting the Flu
- Your Health: Studying Mealtime