TV 20 STUDIO - Dr. Tecla Myrick was here Tuesday to talk about Halloween pet safety.
The large crowds and the noise of doorbells may cause some pets to run away and risk getting lost or hit by a car. If your pet is easily frightened, keep it confined in a safe quiet area during the festivities.
Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats. About 10 ounces of milk chocolate can make a 20 pound dog very sick. Dark chocolate is even more toxic. Candy containing the artificial sweetener Xylitol is also poisonous to dogs and cats, so it's a good idea to store candy in a high place away from pets.
If you put a costume on your pet, never leave them unattended. They may become uncomfortable or bored and rip the costume or eat it. Some costumes, if not fitted properly, can cause irritation and swelling.
If you take your pet out to trick-or-treat, be sure they can handle the stress and that they have a snug collar with proper ID and a microchip if possible.
My name is Beckett and I am a Spayed female - Domestich SH/Mix.
The shelter staff thinks I am about 2 months old.
I have been at the shelter since September 29, 2012.
For more information, call (352)264-6870