Chris Rainey Dropped from Steelers After Arrest
GAINESVILLE - The Pittsburgh Steelers waived RB Chris Rainey today, hours after his arrest in Gainesville.
Gainesville Police say the former Gator star was arrested and charged with one count of simple battery after getting into a scuffle with his girlfriend over a cell phone.
Gainesville Police say a 911 call was placed by witnesses who reported an argument between Gainey and his girlfriend, after she took his cell phone and got into his roommate’s car trying to get away from him.
Witnesses said Rainey went to the passenger car door and pulled the woman out of the car, slapping her in the face.
Then he chased her to try to get the phone back, grabbing her purse and causing both to fall again.
Neither Rainey nor the woman suffered any injuries.
"Under the circumstances and due to this conduct, Chris will no longer be a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers," Steelers GM Kevin Colbert said.
It is not the first domestic violence arrest for Rainey, who just finished his rookie year with the Steelers.
He was arrested in 2010 while here at the University of Florida after sending a threatening text message to his on-again, off-again girlfriend that read: "Time to Die B----- u and ur???"
Rainey was charged with felony aggravated stalking.
The charges were dropped after Rainey met certain requirements and stayed out of trouble for six months.
- Chris Rainey Released From Steelers Following Arrest
- Rainey Signs NFL Contract with Steelers
- Former Gator Released From Jail
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Suspect Arrested After Fleeing From Police
- Three arrested after stealing jerseys from UF locker room
- Habitual Traffic Offender Arrested After Running From Police
- Gator WR Rainey Arrested For Dating Violence
- UF Football Player Chris Rainey Arrested
- Dozens of Arrests After Kentucky Hangs on for Eighth National Title