GPD Report Raises Questions About Hernandez Involvement in 2007 Shooting
Published July 4th, 2013
GAINESVILLE - An internal Gainesville Police report mistakenly released to the media on Wednesday is raising more questions about former Gator football star Aaron Hernandez's possible involvement in a 2007 shooting case.
Back in September of that year, Gainesville resident Corey Smith, now 34, was shot in the head and seriously injured by an unknown gunman while sitting inside a car.
The driver of that car, Justin Glass, was hit in the arm. Another man, Randall Cason, was in the backseat but was not hurt.
Speaking to police just a few hours later, Cason described the gunman as a "Hawaiian, or possibly hispanic male," with "a lot of tattoos" and "possibly a UF student and football player." Cason also said former Gator safety Reggie Nelson was with the "Hawaiian" man, a claim Nelson later denied to police.
Earlier in the night, Cason had been involved in an altercation with several UF football players while at the former "Venue" nightclub. At least one of those players placed Hernandez at the same club with them.
Police tried questioning Hernandez, who was only 17 at the time, but he immediately invoked his right to an attorney.
In a strange twist, Cason retracted his story to police just a few weeks later; the police report does not specify the reason why.
At least 10 other witnesses were also cited in the same report, but all of them say they saw a black man shoot the gun, not a "Hawaiian" as described by Cason.
GPD released a statement on Wednesday calling the report "incomplete". Officials would not comment any further due to the ongoing criminal investigation.
- GPD Releases Report on 2007 Shooting Involving Hernandez
- Police Report Shows Tebow Tried to Break Up 2007 Bar Fight Involving Hernandez
- Aaron Hernandez Taken Into Custody
- Aaron Hernandez Murder Case
- Aaron Hernandez Indicted on Murder Charge
- Aaron Hernandez Stickers Replaced with Tebow's
- Aaron Hernandez: More Troubles at 17
- Authorities Searched Aaron Hernandez's Secret Apartment
- Urban Meyer Breaks Silence on Aaron Hernandez
- Fatal Crash Raises Questions About 34th St. Traffic