Restaurant's Fundraiser for Ocala Olympian a Success
The Winter Olympics are less than a month away and an Ocala family is preparing to travel to Sochi, Russia to cheer on their daughter U.S. speed skating olympian, Brittany Bowe.
But right now, they have to raise the money for the trip.
Ten percent of Shane's Rib Shack's revenue from today was donated to the olympian's family to help them afford the trip.
So far, close to $10,000 has been raised through t-shirt donations today alone.
The family has $18,000 left to go.
"This was just an awesome opportunity. I'm just thrilled to death that she's competing in the olympics. That's just crazy!," said Kristen Keene, owner of Shane's Rib Shack in Ocala.
"It's just another example that when we go, we know were going as a community, and not just Brittany's father, Brittany's sister and me and Brittany," said Brittany's mom Debbie Bowe.
Skate Mania, the place where Bowe learned how to skate, is having Sunday Skating for the next three Sundays. 100% of the proceeds will be going to Brittany Bowe and Joey Mantia, another speed skating olympian from Ocala.
- Woman from Ocala Makes the US Olympic Team
- Fundraising For Local Olymipians' Families To Go To Sochi, Russia
- Ocala Athlete Heading To Winter Olympics
- Ocala Ice Skater To Compete In Winter Olympics Sunday
- Ocala asks community to get on board for million dollar project
- Ocala's Winter Wonderland
- Fundraising success at St. Francis Catholic Academy
- Foster Kids Ice Skate For Free in Ocala
- Students hold winter Olympics
- First annual Special Olympics fundraiser held in Alachua County