Hotels Not Completely Booked For Kick-Off Game
Published August 30th, 2012
GAINESVILLE - "I'm looking forward to see the improvements from the new coaching staff," said Gator Fan Greg McMahon.
Greg McMahon of Gainesville has his ticket for Saturday, and tickets for his daughter coming in from out of town.
"Hopefully we'll have fun before and after the game," McMahon said.
"Football season really starts the engine of tourism in gainesville," said John Pricher, the Assistant Director for Visit Gainesville.
Gators of all generations travel extra yardage to see their team.
"Having that start back up is kind of like spring almost, everything seems to be coming back to life," Pricher said.
But after a disappointing season last year, will this affect tourism to the gator nation?
"First games in terms of hotels are always a little slow for booking. When I've been updating our hotel list it looking most of the conference games are doing well in terms of having hotels that are busy," said Pricher.
We contacted five hotels today and none of them are booked completely for the weekend.
Pricher tolds us that there are 5200 rooms available in the county, and when the Gators are playing well...90 to 95 percent of those rooms are booked.
"Hoping to get back to it. We've been a little off of that the last couple of years and winning cures that," said Pricher. "I think everybody knows that winning is the cure for everything."
But this season ticket holder tells us he has no doubt people will continue to come to The Swamp and it actually is what he looks most forward to.
"I enjoy seeing the people I usually sit with since they come from all over," said McMahon. "I have people from Orlando around me…I see them once a year for the seven games and I'll start seeing them again."
Saturday will be the first of seven home games in the swamp this year.
The homecoming game against Louisiana- Lafayette will be November 10th.
- Gator Football Season Opening Kick-Off Time Set!
- Gator Football Changes Season Opening Kick-Off Time
- Gator Hoops to Kick-Off Season Down Two More Players; Ranked 10th in AP Poll
- Santa Fe College Hoops Prepares to Kick-Off Season
- SEC Football Preview Kicks Off
- Gators Kick Off SEC Media Days; First Three Game-Times Announced
- Homecoming Week Kicks Off For Gator Nation
- GatorNationals Kicks off Thursday
- Gator Jazz and Blues Festival Kicks Off Homecoming Weekend
- Students Wait in Hotels as Apartment Complexes are Completed