Death Toll Rises to Two in Marion County from Meningitis Outbreak
MARION COUNTY (AP) - An 83-year-old Marion County is the second person in the county and in the state to die from a national fungal meningitis outbreak.
Florida Department of Health officials on Thursday said that the man, who was not named due to health privacy laws, developed meningitis after he was injected with one of the contaminated lots of steroid medicine from the New England Compounding Center.
A 70-year old man from Marion County died in July, before the discovery of the contaminated medication.
State Surgeon General and Secretary of Health Dr. John Armstrong says there have been seven cases of meningitis in Florida so far, with the latest person diagnosed identified as a 48-year-old man from Marion County.
Armstrong says health officials have identified 735 of the 775 people in Florida who received contaminated injections.
- Four Cases of Meningitis in Florida... All in Marion County
- Woman Files Lawsuit Against Pharmacy Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
- Three Marion County Facilities Linked to Meningitis Outbreak
- Nine Meningitis Cases in Florida
- Death Toll from Oklahoma Tornadoes Rises to 20
- Three More Cases of Meningitis Reported in Florida
- Another Case of Meningitis in North Central Florida
- Additional Case of Fungal Meningitis in North Central Florida
- Death Toll from Friday's Storms Remains at 39
- Virus Outbreak At Marion County School