Five Tax Moves To Make By Year End
GAINESVILLE - The end of the year calls for a certain amount of routine tax planning, defer income, accelerate expenses, make a charitable donation.
If the Fiscal Cliff happens, experts say there is a program that would affect thousands of students at UF.
UF Student Benson Joseph needs work study to attend UF.
"I would have to get a 9-5 and I would have to go somewhere else with less accessibility," Joseph said.
Joseph is one of thousands of students who rely on work study, a federally funded program that provides work and pay for college students, that could affect students like Joseph if Washington doesn't come up with a deal by the end of the year.
Family Economics State Specialist Michael Gutter says if nothing happens, budget cuts could trickle down to schools, forcing many to find alternatives to "work study."
Gutter is also concerned that loan rates would skyrocket.
"They might have to delay their education they have to think of career paths that take them out," Gutter said.
Experts says there are five tax moves you can do by the end of the year.
- Accelerate income consider asking that any expected bonus be paid this year and if you are taking distributions from an IRA consider pulling out next year's money before year end.
- Convert a Traditional IRA to a Roth IRA if you think your tax rates will be higher next year, the cost of converting will be lower if you act now.
- Make gifts now the estate and lifetime gift tax exemption is set to drop from $5 million to $1 million and maximum tax on amounts over the exemption is set to increase.
- Plan to live on less next year
- Pay next year's school tuition now The American Opportunity Tax Credit is set to disappear.
- With New Fiscal Year Approaching, City Leaders are Working to Budget Biomass Plant
- President Obama Talks Fiscal Cliff
- AP Source: Obama Not Making New 'Cliff' Offer
- 2013 Hurricane Season Ends, Only One Storm Makes Landfall
- Florida Governor Approves 3-Year Medicaid Expansion
- Alachua County Releases Tentative Budget for Upcoming Fiscal Year
- City Manager Released Budget For 2009 And 2010 Fiscal Years
- Florida Lawmakers Make Moves to Restrict Use of Drones
- CPS 3 Study Needs Volunteers
- UF Health Advance Directive Educating Others About End-Of-Life Care