Sarah Maynard Wants To Be A Gator
A 15 year old girl from Ohio is now an honorary Gator thanks to the University of Florida...
She was granted a jacket and certificate from the executive director of UF's alumni association.
Both were given to Sarah Maynard from Danita Nias on the Dr.Phil talk show..
After Sarah said it was her dream to become a Gator.
Nias said Gator grads in Ohio were impressed with Sarah's courage and are now working to help her get a scholarship..
And help prepare her for college.
Two years ago Maynard and her younger brother come home to find their mother and a friend murdered.
Sarah's brother was then murdered by the same man right in front of Sarah.
Then she was taken hostage and sexually assaulted for four days when she was found by authorities.
She has since written a book, The Girl in the Leaves, about her experience.
She told Dr.Phil it's been difficult adjusting to her loss but she is working on staying strong.
This fall, Sarah will come to the University of Florida campus to be a Gator for a day and be a guest at a home football game.
She says that she wants to study pediatrics and play softball for the University.
- Three More Cases of Meningitis Reported in Florida
- Nine Meningitis Cases in Florida
- Gov. Scott Appoints 5 New Members To State Board Over Universities
- Another Case of Meningitis in North Central Florida
- Former Gator Released From Jail
- Scott Resets Execution Date of Thomas Knight
- West Nile Virus Found in Alachua County
- Man Travels Over 300 Miles For Sex
- New Details in Christian Aguilar Case
- Aguilar Returns Home