Songs for Kids Foundation Visits Shands
They're lifting children's spirits by using music. The Songs for Kids Foundation is made up of artists who perform at children's hospitals across the country. Today these artists came to shands as part of their "2013 Songs for Kids Tour." The organization's leaders say children often suffer from isolation when dealing with an illness-- especially if they have to stay in the hospital for a long time. Child life specialists say the music helps kids return to being just a kid.
"A lot of things are taken away from them here and so giving them opportunities to just be a kid, and just play, and just do activities that are normal and that happen every day for them in the outside world and binging them here," Anna Lake (Child Life Specialist) said.
Children were encouraged to sing along while musicians played their favorite songs.
The foundation's next stop will be in Orlando at the Arnold Palmer Hospital for Children.
For more information on the Songs for Kids Foundation, click here.
- 5th Annual Noche de Gala Raises Funds for Kids
- UF Shands Children's Hospital Opens New Entrance
- Shands Children's Hospital Among Best in Nation
- LPGA tournament players make a surprise stop at a children's hospital
- Force Sisters Visit Children's Hospital Before Race
- Shands Children's Hospital recognized by US News and World Report
- Alachua Girl in National Tissue Box Artwork Contest
- Looking Back at Noche de Gala 2012
- 7th Annual Noche De Gala Has Guests "Amped"
- Dance Marathon raises over 2 million for Children's Miracle Network