Small Business Owner Struggles To Find Workers
For the past nine months Ivon Page has been trying to fill several job openings at his dealerships in Summerfield called the RV SwapShop.
Page is looking to hire sales representatives, service technicians and an office assistant.
Page said he hasn't had much luck finding workers.
"It's hard because we've been growing, but to find the qualified help we are looking for has just been enormously challenging to find the help that we need," said Page.
Page said not many people are applying for his job openings.
So when he gets desperate, he hires underqualified workers, but they don't stick around for long.
"We've started some service guys at a higher pay then I really like to start them with, because we like to start them at a $12 an hour prove yourself and work your way up. You bring them aboard and two weeks later they have created more work than they've done," said Page.
According to the Chief Executive Officer of Workforce Connection Rusty Skinner, many small businesses will run into the same issue.
"If you are a small business located outside in the county and your talent pool is in the county, one of the issues are we don't have a mass transit system that goes to all those areas. So the ability for people to get to the place of work is also an issue," said Skinner.
Skinner said salary also plays a role.
"If it cost them more to work than it does to draw unemployment then that's a difficult sell," said Skinner.
Skinner said he knows there are thousands of people out there who are looking and waiting to get hired.
Business owners like Page are just hoping those qualified workers come to them soon.
Visit the website below to find out about current job openings.
The RV SwapShop is hiring five positions including two sales representatives, two service technicians and an office assistant.
If interested send resumes to rvinfo@rvswapshop or call 352-347-6157
- Businesses working to lower unemployment rate
- UNEMPLOYMENT RATE IN MARION COUNTY
- Workforce Connections Holds Event to Benefit Homeless Veterans
- T,B & W Employees Seek Help from Workforce Connection
- Florida Job Seekers
- Counties struggle with small emergency budgets
- Missing Dogs Found at Phoenix Animal Rescue, Owners Say They Struggled to Get Them Back
- Harvesters Struggle to Find Live Oysters in Cedar Key
- Chiefland Commissioners struggle to find money for ALS Certification
- Local street festivals struggle to find new source of funding