Farmers Discuss the Proposed Farm Bill
It's a bill that helps farmers and consumers alike.
One that's been delayed for several years in Washington.
The #2 money maker for the state is agriculture.
The new farm bill changes the current subsidy system.
North Central Farmers look forward to getting it enacted.
It was an effort from both parties in the House and Senate in conference to agree on this bill Monday.
The House of Representatives will bring the conference report to the floor Wednesday and the Senate should soon after.
The Florida Farm Buerau Federation said the bill will move away from paying farmers yearly for the amount of acres they plant or for what kind of crop they raise.
Now, farmers will only be paid in case of a major market change or if they experience extreme weather conditions during harvest season.
This crop insurance would not pay for all of their losses or expenses, but would help farmers get back on their feet.
"To be able to have farmers that can recover from a one time event, farmers that are doing good practices that have a good business model that are able to recover after a catastophic event, that helps everybody. That helps every consumer that buys food off the grocery shelves," said Janell Hendren with the Florida Farm Bureau Federation.
Florida Farm Buerau also says that alot of the programs in the proposed farm bill helps Florida's fruit and vegetable industries.
Included in the bill is $125 million dollars for citrus greening research.
- Proposed Farm Bill May Affect Low Income Residents The Most
- NCF Peanut Farmers Wither Under 2014 Farm Bill
- Agro-Terrorism: From the Farm to the Fork
- Federal Food Stamp Cuts, Affect Food Banks
- Florida's Agriculture Natural Resource and Food Industries on the Rise
- Got Milk? Farm Bill Discussion Raises Questions on Price of Dairy
- Federal Food Stamp Benefits Reduced
- Congressman Yoho Calls Farm Bill Failure a "Disappointment"
- 2 Brothers Sentenced for Food Stamp Fraud
- Agriculture Commissioner Seeks Answers For Rising Fuel and Food Prices