13-year-old Gainesville Boy Sends Care Packages to Navy Seals
GAINESVILLE - Thirteen-year-old Garrett Sheehan, 13, took advantage of the back to school sales on Sunday, but all these goodies aren't for him.
Sheehan is sending 100 care packages to Navy Seals who are overseas.
He said that he was spurred to action when he read about a plane crash last August in Afghanistan, in which 22 Navy Seals were killed.
"When I heard about that for my eagle scout project I wanted to honor the Navy Seals in Afghanistan," said Sheehan.
Sheehan spent the last year writing letters and knocking on doors to try and get sponsors to help pay for mailing the care packages. Since it cost a grand total of $1,400.
"He kicked off his project with his Facebook page and that's how he got most of his postage sponsors," said Garrett's mother, Wendy.
His Facebook page came in handy for other reasons, said Wendy.
People who have relatives in the military would write him messages giving him some ideas about what to put in the packages.
"They love snacks," Garrett said. "They usually only drink water so I decided to put the flavored water packets."
The care packages are filled with books toiletry products as well as...
"One hundred life savers hard candy," said Garrett.
Each Navy Seal will get a personalized thank you card.
On Sunday he spent more than $800 that he got from donations to get the last bit of treats for the Navy Seals.
"Even though I don't know them, I still think I should respect them and honor them because they are risking their lives everyday," said Garrett.
- Local Boy Scout Sends Care Packages to Troops Overseas
- Belleview Man Accused Of Raping 13-Year-Old
- Funeral Service for 13-Year-Old Ashley Ertle
- Two Charged with Sexual Battery Against 13-Year-Old
- 12-Year-Old Boy Saves 4 Younger Siblings from House Fire
- Alachua County Man in Jail for Taking 3-year-old Boy
- Benefit for Five- Year-Old Boy with Cancer
- 8-Year-Old Boy Set on Fire While Playing in Neighbors' Yard
- 3-Year-Old Boy Almost Kidnapped By Sex Offender
- 9-year-old boy dies in Hog Valley fire