Five Former Florida Governors Visit University of Florida
Published October 12th, 2012
GAINESVILLE- Water Supply, land usage,energy, education, economic development and growth management, were all topics on the floor for what audience members are calling a once in a lifetime forum at the Phillip’s Center today.
Former governors Reubin Askew, Bob Graham, Bob Martinez, Buddy MacKay and Charlie Crist showed up to ask questions and address concerns about the current state of the state and why young people are considering leaving.
The students, seniors and inbetween present today however were cemented in the Phillips center taking mental note of a wealth of gubernatorial advice.
Dean of Levin College of Law at the University of Florida, Robert Jerry says, “the opportunity to hear the wisdom of these great leaders of our state and their advice for our students there’s no question this is something that we’ll remember for a long long time.”
Wisdom that the governors were able to exercise and apply to several current event issues including some ballot hot topics brought up by the student audience.
Potentially disenfranchising voters through shortening early voting periods was also a concern raised among students present.
Crist criticized House Bill 1355 as it relates to absentee ballot verification through voter signature.
The most senior former Governor present, Reubin Askew encouraged voters to keep their trust in the judicial branch.
- Governor Scott Angers Florida Election Supervisors
- Ann Romney visits David's BBQ in Gainesville
- Tracking Down, "Undecided," Voters
- Tea Party's Yoho A Major Upset in Florida
- Opening of Bob Graham Center for Public Service Gives Pause to Former Governors
- Vice Presidential Hopeful, Paul Ryan Makes Victory Tour Stop in Ocala
- Michelle Obama Calls UF Rally Her Biggest Event This Year
- Former Florida Governor Reubin Askew Dead At 85
- Governor Scott Visits UF in Support President Machen's Goal of Becoming Top 10 University
- FL Lt. Governor Carlos Lopez-Cantera Visits Ocala Business Owners