Five Former Florida Governors Visit University of Florida
Published October 12th, 2012
GAINESVILLE- Water Supply, land usage,energy, education, economic development and growth management, were all topics on the floor for what audience members are calling a once in a lifetime forum at the Phillip’s Center today.
Former governors Reubin Askew, Bob Graham, Bob Martinez, Buddy MacKay and Charlie Crist showed up to ask questions and address concerns about the current state of the state and why young people are considering leaving.
The students, seniors and inbetween present today however were cemented in the Phillips center taking mental note of a wealth of gubernatorial advice.
Dean of Levin College of Law at the University of Florida, Robert Jerry says, “the opportunity to hear the wisdom of these great leaders of our state and their advice for our students there’s no question this is something that we’ll remember for a long long time.”
Wisdom that the governors were able to exercise and apply to several current event issues including some ballot hot topics brought up by the student audience.
Potentially disenfranchising voters through shortening early voting periods was also a concern raised among students present.
Crist criticized House Bill 1355 as it relates to absentee ballot verification through voter signature.
The most senior former Governor present, Reubin Askew encouraged voters to keep their trust in the judicial branch.
- Former Florida Governor Reubin Askew Dead At 85
- FL Lt. Governor Carlos Lopez-Cantera Visits Ocala Business Owners
- Governor Scott Visits UF in Support President Machen's Goal of Becoming Top 10 University
- Former Supreme Court Justice Visits North Central Florida
- Eight Year Old Passes Away While Waiting For Heart
- Gainesville Orchestra Plays Disney For Kids
- Court: Florida Man Can't Be Held As Sex Offender
- State Approves Sale of Former Prison For Use as Homeless Center
- Florida Governor Approves 3-Year Medicaid Expansion
- Five More Horses Positive For Equine Herpes Virus in Florida