1 Dies When Canoe Capsizes in Orlando Lake
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) - Authorities say one person is dead after the canoe he was in with six other people capsized in a lake in northwest Orlando.
The group apparently launched the canoe from a private boat ramp in the Rock Lake neighborhood sometime after 3 a.m. Friday.
The Orlando Sentinel reports the group crossed the lake and went to a beach behind Parliament House night club. Around 4 a.m. they cast off to cross the lake again.
Orlando police spokesman Vincent Ogburn says the canoe flipped when someone tried to reposition. He says six boaters knew how to swim. But the victim, who was in his early 20s, did not. Someone tried to help the victim to shore, but he panicked and sank.
Ogburn says divers found his body 1,500 feet from shore.
- 1 Killed, 1 Injured When SUV Hits Orlando Bus Stop
- Man Died After Boat Capsized
- Boy Finds Ancient Canoe
- FWC: Fish Orlando App Shows Maps of Lakes
- Man Dies After Being Hit By Branch In Orlando
- No Privacy When Telling On Your Teacher
- Lake Weir Middle School Student Hit By Truck, Dies
- Lake City Man Dies in Traffic Crash
- Third Victim of Lake Butler Shooting Spree Dies
- Lake City Police Officer Dies in Early Morning Fire