Amendment 11 Not Passed in Marion County
Marion County commissioners voted against implementing a property tax reduction for some senior citizens.
At the meeting more than ten people spoke in favor of implementing Amendment 11.
Back in November, the proposal passed statewide with 61 percent of the vote.
Now it's up to the counties and municipalities to decide whether or not they want to implement it.
" My purpose here today is in support of Amendment 11," said James Bowden.
" I'm here in support of Amendment 11."
" These seniors need their tax break."
The hot topic at the Marion County commission meeting on Tuesday was Amendment 11.
It would grant a property tax reduction for seniors with a household salary less than $27,000 a year and who have lived in their home more than 25 years.
"How can you deny these Marion County residents who have lived and worked here and paid taxes to support the county, your salaries and other projects for so many years," said Nancy Noonan.
"In 1976 I got my home built by a local builder. At the time my property taxes were $350. Today they are $1500 if I take the 4 percent discount," said Bowden.
After listening to several seniors who were in favor and a couple who opposed the Amendment, commissioner Earl Arnett asked his felow commissioners to make a decision.
Commissioner David Moore and Arnett voted yes for the tax exemption.
While Commisison Chair Kathy Bryant and Commissioners Carl Zalak and Stan McClain voted against it.
"If we continue to create exemptions pretty soon you will have only a small segment of the population paying property taxes," said Commisisoner McClain.
The tax exemption would have cost the county about $162,000 a year.
The 3 to 2 vote against it left senior citizens feeling like their voices weren't heard.
"It's disappointing but not surprising," said Anita Frauenshuh.
- Marion County Citizens Fight to Get "Amendment 11" Passed
- Citizens Ask County Commissioners for Expansion of Bus Routes
- Marion County Commissioners Approve Panhandling Ordinance
- Senior Citizen Kills Wife Before Taking His Own Life
- Senior Citizen Arrested for Grand Theft
- Before You Vote...Alachua County Charter Amendments Breakdown
- Public Meeting on Anti-Tethering Approved by Commissioners
- Early voting underway in several Florida counties
- County Commissioners Approve Road Repairs
- Alachua County Commissioners Approve Gas Tax Increase