Alachua County is Home to the Oldest Active Bomb Squad Technician in the Country
ALACHUA COUNTY, Fla. - Deputy J.R. Hansen began his bomb squad career in 1975 in Miami Dade County before transferring to Brevard County’s squad in 1986.
Hansen retired from Brevard County in 2006 and in 2011 joined the Alachua county Sheriff’s Office... a decision motivated by the bomb disposal team.
During the first week of June this year he participated in an FBI sponsored Bomb squad certification program in Alabama.
Hansen recalls the experience, “I was informed that I was the oldest FBI still active certified tech in the United States out of about 25-hundred people.”
He was part of the bomb squad team that responded to the shooting off of Tower Road on Saturday.
To maintain FBI cerification, it's necessary to attend a class every three years.
- Search for Missing Student Reaches High and Low with Help from Joint Aviation Unit
- Bradford County Woman Stabs Robber in her Home
- Woman Found Dead Inside Southwest Ocala Home in what Police are Calling a Homicide
- Florida Highway Patrol highlighting active hit & run cases
- NAACP Awards Banquet Recognizes Community Leaders
- Security Changes on the way for Alachua County Schools
- Alachua County Commissioners Reach Out to Third Manager Candidate
- Construction in Poe Springs Park Nears Completion
- Rick Drummond Prepares Leave County Manager Seat as Betty Baker Steps in
- Inmate Escapes From Alachua County Work Release Center