Alachua County is Home to the Oldest Active Bomb Squad Technician in the Country
ALACHUA COUNTY, Fla. - Deputy J.R. Hansen began his bomb squad career in 1975 in Miami Dade County before transferring to Brevard County’s squad in 1986.
Hansen retired from Brevard County in 2006 and in 2011 joined the Alachua county Sheriff’s Office... a decision motivated by the bomb disposal team.
During the first week of June this year he participated in an FBI sponsored Bomb squad certification program in Alabama.
Hansen recalls the experience, “I was informed that I was the oldest FBI still active certified tech in the United States out of about 25-hundred people.”
He was part of the bomb squad team that responded to the shooting off of Tower Road on Saturday.
To maintain FBI cerification, it's necessary to attend a class every three years.
- Wanted Tennessee Fugitive Arrested Across the Street from Alachua County Sheriff's Office
- Bradford County Woman Stabs Robber in her Home
- Mosquitoes Use Standing Water to Stir Trouble in Alachua County
- Alachua County Commission Votes to Keep Archer Braid Trail Out of Haile Plantation
- String of Burglaries in One Alachua County Neighborhood May be Connected
- Alachua County Volunteers Track Down the Homeless
- Inmate Escapes From Alachua County Work Release Center
- Alachua County Commissioners Reach Out to Third Manager Candidate
- Cross Country Motorcyclists Return from Charity Ride
- Paddling Scheduled to Return to Marion County Elementary Schools