Multiple victims reported in mass shooting at a home in Bell. News conference scheduled for 8pm
Zimmerman Trial Day 3: Star Witness Testifies
SANFORD - It's day three in the murder trial of George Zimmerman and emotions ran high as the last person to speak to Trayvon Martin before he died took the stand.
Both sides made good use of this key witness, 19-year-old Rachel Jeantel.
She says she didn't know she'd be the last one to hear Martin's voice, claiming she thought Martin had just gotten into a fight.
She says she never thought he would end up dead on the other end of his cell phone.
She does claim that Martin told her a man was following her - "I heard Trayvon saying get off, get off, then the phone shut off."
Jeantel's testimony to the prosecution appealed to emotion, as she cried and Martin's family cried.
While the prosecution had Jeantel say a narrative of that night, the defense flipped her testimony on its head pointing out lies she told following the shooting.
One of them about her age.
She told Trayvon Martin's mother she was a minor because she didn't want to tell the distraught Sabrina Fulton about what happened that night.
In reality, Jeantel was 18 at the time of the shooting.
She will take the stand again tomorrow.
- Zimmerman Trial Day 5: Witness Places Trayvon Martin on Top of Zimmerman
- Zimmerman Trial: Neighbor Testifies
- Zimmerman Trial: Family Members Testify As Defense Opens Case
- Zimmerman Trial: Trayvon Martin's Father Testifies
- Zimmerman Trial: Forensic Pathologist Testifies For The Defense
- Witnesses Testify in Bargo Trial
- Zimmerman Trial Day 6: Detectives Ask Why Zimmerman Chased Trayvon Martin
- Zimmerman Trial Day 8: State Tries to Prove Zimmerman was a "Wanna-be Cop"
- Zimmerman Trial: Police Officer Testifies
- Zimmerman Trial: Day Seven