"Bong Ban," in Florida Doesn't Change Much for Store-owners
Published July 7th, 2013
GAINESVILLE, Fla. - HB 49 has prohibited the sale of bongs used for smoking marijuana and hashish in the state of Florida.
The law that went into effect earlier this month places a ban on the sale of pipes and drug paraphernalia used for marijuana.
For store owners and customers though,it's been business as usual.
According to House Bill 49, it is illegal to sell drug paraphernalia like bongs that may be used for cannabis, cocaine, hashish or nitrous oxide use.
But that hasn't stopped bong like products from remaining on shelves in your area under the name of water pipes.
Gainesville Resident, Jeff Alfred said "Same thing as underage drinking, I mean if someone is under 21 and they want to find a way to do it, they're gonna do it. I don't think it's an effective way for the government to step in and tell people how to live their lives."
It is also current Florida law that smoke shops have to prove that 75 percent of their sales come from tobacco products, leaving 25 percent to be made from the sale of pipes and other items.
- "Bong Bill" Becomes Law, Starts Thursday
- Rulings on Gay Marriage Doesn't Affect Fla Ban
- Ocala Mayor Says He Doesn't Support "Saggy Pants" Ordinance
- Major Banks Decide Monthly Debit Fee Doesn't Make "Cents"
- Woman Doesn't Fear Murder Charge In Florida Case
- End of 2012 Atlantic Hurricane Season, Doesn't Mean an End to Recovery in Lake City
- Zimmerman Prosecutor Says She Doesn't Read News
- A Little Bit of Rain Doesn't Dampen Hanukkah's Menorah Lighting
- Rainy Weather Doesn't Stop Annual VA Charity Walk
- Woman in jail on manslaugher charge after crash she doesn't remember