Boater on Fishing Trip Missing in Gulf of Mexico
CRYSTAL RIVER, Fla. (AP) - U.S. Coast Guard officials have located the boat of a missing man in the Gulf of Mexico.
Bay News 9 reports that the empty boat of 51-year-old Efstathios "Steve" Moumouris was located early Thursday about nine miles west of the Citrus County boat ramp he departed from Wednesday morning.
A search is ongoing in the Gulf of Mexico for him, involving the Coast Guard boats, a C-130 plane, a helicopter and Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission officials.
The Coast Guard says Moumouris was on a fishing trip.
According to Moumouris' wife, he texted a picture of a fish he caught at 1:30 p.m. Wednesday.
His wife says he also texted he was heading back a short time later. No one has heard from him since.
- Fish and Wildlife Commission Debates Deer Ban
- Woman Dies on Fla. Keys Dive Trip
- Carnival: No Reimbursement To U.S. For Disabled Ship
- Wildlife Officials Ready for License Free Fishing
- FWC: Fish Orlando App Shows Maps of Lakes
- Crews search for missing boater at sea
- Coast Guard Searches for 3 Missing Boaters in the Gulf
- Missing Fla. Lawyer Turns Himself in to FBI
- Body of Missing Diver Found in Atlantic Ocean
- New Leads Sought in Search for Missing Mom, Kids