Union County Sheriff Laid to Rest
Family and friends came together this afternoon to say goodbye to a man known for his service in Union County.
It was an emotional day for those who knew Union County sheriff Jerry Whitehead.
He was laid to rest today after suffering a sudden heart attack Wednesday afternoon.
Whitehead was the longest serving sheriff in the state, standing strong for the small county after tragedies like the mass shooting in Lake Butler this summer.
Law enforcement from around North Central Florida were there to pay their respects.
"He was just a genuine man with a kind heart but a strong man too. He did more for Union County than pretty much anyone ever has," said Captain Brad Smith with the Bradford County Sheriff's Office.
Whitehead was elected sheriff in 1984, replacing his father John Whitehead who served for 32 years as sheriff.
He leaves behind a wife, six children, and a community that will remember him best as, "the People's Sheriff."
- Bradford County Sheriff's Office creates safe place for online sales
- Deputy Brandee Smith laid to rest
- Marion County Sheriff's Office Granted More Money for Cars
- Retired Gainesville Police Officer Laid to Rest
- University Police Officer Laid to Rest
- Ocala officer laid to rest
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Marion County Sheriff's Office looking into possible connected armed robberies
- Deputy Robert Lundy Awarded Florida Sheriff's AssociatIon Law Enforcement Officer of the Year
- Bradford County Sheriff's Office Marks Sexual Predator Residences