Muhammad Executed After Spending Nearly Four Decades On Death Row
Published January 8th, 2014
RAIFORD -- A man convicted of killing a North Central Florida corrections officer more than three decades ago was executed on Tuesday at the same prison where he committed the murder.
Askari Abdullah Muhammad, 62, was executed by lethal injection Tuesday at the Florida State Prison near Starke.
Muhammad was initially sentenced to death for the 1974 abduction and killing of a couple from Miami. But it was after Muhammad was already in prison for those murders that he took the life of his third victim: corrections officer Richard Burke of Middleburg.
Burke, 48, had been working at the Florida State Prison for only four months when Muhammed stabbed him to death with a sharpened spoon back in 1980.
"I'm glad it's over, and it is over for me," said Burke's daughter Carolyn, who witnessed Muhammad's execution. "I can just move on, because it has been a long struggle, and I miss my dad a lot," she said.
After declining to issue a final statement, Muhammad was pronounced dead at 6:45 p.m.
- Happ Executed Nearly Three Decades After Murder of Angela Crowley
- Mass Murderer Executed After SCOTUS Rejects Schizophrenia Appeal
- Supreme court ruling leaves fate of Florida death row inmates on hold
- After Four Delays, Gore's Execution Scheduled For Tuesday
- Death Warrant Issued for Askari Abdullah Muhammad
- Correll executed, SCOTUS reviews Florida's death penalty
- Death row inmate Wayne Doty's request for electric chair is pushed back
- Paul Howell Set to be Executed
- Fire Near State Prison
- Teen Spends 35 Days in Jail After Mistaken Arrest