Bikers Raise Money for Theater Victim's Family
PORT RICHEY, Fla. (AP) - Some 1,000 motorcyclists are raising money to help raise money for the family of a man who was gunned down during an argument over texting in a Florida theater.
The Chad Oulson Memorial Run took place Sunday in Port Richey.
Friends say 43-year-old Oulson loved dirt bikes and motocross. He left behind a 2-year-old daughter and a wife, but didn't have life insurance. In the days after the shooting, friends established a trust fund to help the family.
"Motorcycle people are some of the most giving people on the planet," said Denise Mosher, who participated in the event with her husband, Chris Mosher. "We always ride for the cause."
The Tampa Bay Times reports Oulson didn't have life insurance. And he had been researching college funds for his daughter, Alexis, in the weeks before his death.
On Sunday, organizers of the fundraiser wore bright green shirts with the number 28, which Oulson wore in motocross events.
Oulson's wife Nicole and daughter were at the finish line to greet the bikers.
Oulson died after being shot while sitting in a movie theater on Jan. 13. Authorities say former police officer Curtis Reeves, 71, shot Oulson during an argument over texting before the movie started. Nicole Oulson's left ring finger was also injured by a bullet.
Reeves remains in the Pasco County Jail on a second-degree murder charge. Circuit Judge Pat Siracusa on Friday ruled that Reeves must stay in jail until his trial following a two-day bail hearing.
Co-workers of Chad Oulson said his wife has been touched by the offers of support.
"She was floored by all of it," said Joe Detrapani.
Checks for the Chad Oulson Memorial Fund may be sent in care of McIntyre, Panzarella, Thanasides, Bringgold & Todd, 501 E. Kennedy Blvd., Suite 1900, Tampa FL 33602.
- William Happ Executed for 1986 Murder, Issues Apology to Victim's Family
- Man Hit Victim With SUV After Family Fight
- Family Of Flesh-Eating Bacteria Victim Wants Warning Signs Posted
- Victim's Family Reacts To Arrest
- A Murder Victim's Family Shares Fond Memories
- Accused Child Molester Attacked by Victim's Family
- "A Pillar in the Community." A Fire Victim's Family Speaks Out
- 96 Year Old Victim's Family Pleas for Justice...
- Police: Girl, 8, was Victim of Predator
- Missing Soldier's Family Holds Out Hope for News