A New Heart For A Local Boy
Alexzander Wood received a new heart yesterday and its beating strong today.
Alex was placed on the waiting list last august. Andï¿½one month later, he received a berlin heart, which isï¿½a mechanical heart designed for children.ï¿½ Alex is one of only 68 to have a berlin heart implant and he is the first in Florida. But it was only a temporary fix. He had that ventricular aid device for one hundred and forty two days.
That all changed yesterday. Alex's transplant went better than expected.ï¿½He now has a heart doctors hope will beat on its own.
Doctors say it looks like Alex's new heart was meant for him and he's doing better than expected. Early this morning, Alex was already off the ventilator, sitting up in his bed, and asking for more food and water.
His doctorsï¿½don't know when Alex will be ableï¿½go home. They'll monitor his progress for the next two to three weeks before making that decision.
The staff also wants to emphasize the importance of being an organ donor. Just like Alex did, there are over thirty-three hundred people waiting for transplants in florida. More than one hundred are waiting specifically for a heart.
- Heart of the Hammock Humane Society Searching For New Home
- Ventricular Assist Device Gives New Hope To Patients With Heart Failure
- Heart Disease Survivor Will Share Story at Heart Walk
- Heart to Heart Silent Auction
- Law Enforcement Officers More Likely To Suffer From Heart Disease
- Man 94, has Deadly Heart Attack After Carjacking
- The Social Heart
- Alive in Their Hearts
- Pledge Red for American Heart Month
- Heart of Florida Tours Ocala