Alachua County Commissioners are rejecting two requests for proposals. At an estimated cost of nearly 6-million dollars. Funding for both projects would have come from the county's new "bed tax."
The money was supposed to go towards expanding the Martin Luther King Community Center, Kanapaha Botanical Gardens, and improvements to the Santa Fe Teaching Zoo.Â But County Commissioners decided to spend the money on the old and new fairgrounds.
County Commissioner Lee Pinkoson says, "This will give us the opportunity to put in a new building that will hopefully be a state of the art building. So we can attract more events to our fairgrounds and get it utilized."
The bed tax adds a one cent sales tax to each person staying in alachua county hotels.
Commissioner Pinkoson says the county is waiting to approve funding for the fairgrounds.Â He says that should happen within the next few months.
By Gavin Johnson, WCJB TV 20 News
- Pot of "Bed Tax" Gold
- Alachua & Newberry City Leaders Ask for Bed Tax Dollars
- Truck Bed Dangers
- New Cost Effective Bed Bug Trap Developed by UF Research Labs
- UF Heats Up Those Bed Bugs
- Fla. Inmate Tries To Escape By Putting Dummy In Bed
- Making Beds To Make Gainesville's Tourism Industry Money
- Former Employee Claims Paramount Plaza Hotel Fired Her For Speaking Up About Bed Bugs
- Bed Bug Population on the Rise
- 20th Annual Bed Making Competition