Free Ride for City Workers
Beginning in 2000, U-F employees, County and City workers that worked in the Downtown area were able to hop on the bus and get a free ride to work. But now, that free ride is being made available to all city employees.
This is the first week all city workers were able to ride for free. The program that's funded by the City and G-R-U's budget was started when the new Federal Courthouse and City Place were built, that was seven years ago.
The program was thought of as a way to remedy the scarcity of parking places in the area. Now with new construction and the increase in City Employees the City wants employees to have alternative means of transportation.
City leaders also say they'll be protecting the environment by having fewer cars on the streets.
By Nathalie Pozo, WCJB TV 20 News
- City of Gainesville Wants to Repair Your Roof...For Free!
- City Will Haul Away Debris For Free, To A Point
- City Proposes to Eliminate Free Downtown Parking
- Downtown Business Owners Send Letter To City, Opposing Free Parking Elimination
- Chrome Divas Ride for a Cause
- Watch, Win & Ride
- Girl Killed While Riding Her Bike
- S.A.F.E. Ride Cycling Tour
- Green Ride Program
- Riding Out Swine Flu