U.F.'s O'Connell Center was just one of 11 stops on Crow and David's Stop Global Warming College Tour. Crist met the duo to help promote their cause.
"It's important to stay focused on doing the kinds of things that are responsible and are prudent and that give us an opportunity to protect this beauty that we love so much not only as Floridians but as Americans," the Republican Governor said.
Before Crow's performance, David discussed the implications of global warming
According to David, the purpose of the tour is not to force people to do everything, it was about encouraging people to do something.
"Make a personal change, change a light bulb," she said.
After David's portion, Crow performed, followed by a question-and-answer session with the audience.
With increasing carbon dioxide levels in the atmosphere, glaciers are melting at a pace ten times faster than scientists previously thought. Crow said the effects are already apparent right here in North Central Florida.
"We've seen massive, massive fires down in Florida. We've seen terrific storms," the singer said. "It's really time that we all wake up to this and become a part of the solution."
By Ted Latiak, WCJB TV20 News
- A Shifting Society; Is Public Opinion Changing on Controversial Issues?
- Local law enforcement issue statements following Dallas shooting
- Stay of Execution Issued for Convicted Killer
- Zimmerman Trial: School Records at Issue
- William Happ Executed for 1986 Murder, Issues Apology to Victim's Family
- Death Warrant Issued for Askari Abdullah Muhammad
- Florida Board of Governors Issue $20 Million in Funding
- Christmas Tree Sales Down Because of Florida Heat
- At-Large 2 Candidate Annie Orlando Speaks on the Issues Facing Gainesville
- At-Large 2 Candidate Helen Warren Speaks on the Issues Facing Gainesville