When it comes to filing your taxes, Corey Switzer of Gainesville says, "I have absolutely no idea what i'm doing."
Is this why 20% of Americans wait until the last two weeks to file?
"Procrastination, it's a human trait," says H&R Manager Roger Pierce.
But tax experts say waiting could cost you.
"Still are a lot of people that haven't filed their tax return, and we'd like to advise those individuals that are a little slow in filing," said IRS Special Agent Norm Meadows.
The advice, Meadows says, is that waiting gives tax preparers a chance to take advantage of you."
"While most income tax return preparers are competent professionals, there are some bad ones out there and you need to be careful this time of year."
And the biggest tip-off's for spotting a scam....
"Individuals who advertise they can produce a bigger tax refund or they base their fee on the tax refund they can generate."
Meadows says to ask for credential, certificates of training, or even references so you don't get scammed. At the same time, pay very close attention to the deadline, which is midnight on April 17.
"If you miss the filing deadline, what you're looking at is two types of penalties; failure to file, which is 6% of your total charges...failure to pay - and that's half of 1percent of the cost and you're also looking at daily interest of 8%", said Gloria Sutton of IRS Media Relations.
IRS Officials recommend filing an extension if you think you're in jepordy of missing the deadline.
That gives you six extra months to comlete the paperwork.
By Thalia Hayden, WCJB TV20 News.
- Last-Minute Tax Tips, Deadline: April 15th
- Tax Deadline Fast Approaching
- ACA Deadline Nears, Young Adults Hesitate to Sign Up
- Deadline to Sign Up For Insurance Extended Again
- Unemployment Disaster Assistance Deadlines Start Next Month
- Deadline to Register to Vote is October 9
- Florida's Voter Registration Deadline is Monday
- Deadline For Petitioners Fighting Transgender Ordinance
- Voter Registration Deadline For Primary Election Right Around The Corner
- State Farm Deadline Looming