Victims' Rights Week
Oaks Mall shoppers came across an eye catching exhibit.Â It was an important message, andÂ a powerful statement.
Tears fell from family and friends eyes, as they remembered their loved ones.Â It's a beautifuly dressed dinner table in the middle of Oaks Mall.Â But it represents much more to these family and friends.
"Please, if you're going to drink, don't drive".
That was one of the powerful messages voiced on Sunday.Â Each one of the nine plates at the table represents a victim of either a drunk driving accident or a murder.Â Some families still have no answers.
"This is a murder of two beautiful loving people. there is a reward for ten thousand dollars.Â Somebody has to know something," said Bob Radcliffe.Â Only four months ago,Â Â Radcliffe lost both his daughter Heather and grandaughter, Kira in a tragic murder.
"There were two precious lives that didn't have to end.Â It's not fair," said best friend Erica Ashley.
The victims best friend says this exhibit gives her a chance to show just how devistating this tragedy is.
"I want people to see the remnants of their house. almost everything was burned down. I brought their plates to show that this happened only five months ago," said Ashley.
Event organizer and victims' advocate says this gives family and friends a way to put a public face on a personal tragedy.
Organizers say the table shows different victims, but the pain is all the same.
"Sadly, we could have had a table stretched from one end of the mall to the otherif we were to absolutely reflect every person that has been killed in the last ten to fifteen years in Alachua County," said an advocate.
The victims at the table weren't only recent deaths.Â Christa Hoyt was one of five killed in the 1990 student murders.
Advocates say it's important to raise awareness of what the aftermath is like.Â For hearts that still mourn, for the lives cut short.Â
By Thalia Hayden,Â WCJB TV20 News.
- Deadly Crash Victims' Family Speaks Out
- A Look Into Sandusky Scandal Victims' Psychology
- Victims' Mothers Speak Out
- Rape Victim Says Rapists Should Not Have Custody Rights
- Omar Gibson's Family Hopes to Keep GPD on the Right Track
- The Right New Year's Resolution For You
- Right Place, Right Time...Cop Catches Child Abuse
- Bikers Raise Money for Theater Victim's Family
- William Happ Executed for 1986 Murder, Issues Apology to Victim's Family
- A Murder Victim's Family Shares Fond Memories