Body Found Near Gainesville Airport
An airport maintenance man found the body of a man shortly before two this afternoon. The airport employee was pulling up stakes from last month's air show.
The discovery was made just inside the tree line about a hundred feet from the road. It's on the northside of the airport, across the street from the Gator Skeet and Trap Club on 46th Avenue.
Gainesville Police Sergeant Art Adkins says the victim was wearing pants and a t-shirt, and partially covered with debris. He adds the victim is a white man, but so far investigators don't know his name or age. But he says there's more going on then the somewhat remote location might suggest.
"It's in the proximity to the airport," says Adkins. "There are some activity out there. This used to be the site of the old police academy. There's a skeet range out here, there's a lot of trucking and industry in this area so there are a lot of people the come in and out of here."
Adkins says it's difficult to give even a rough estimate for how long the body had been here because of the recent heat. He adds says investigators aren't sure how the man died, and they won't know that until they get the autopsy results.
Authorities are asking for your help tonight. If you have any information you are urged to call crimestoppers or Corporal Mike Douglas at 334-2470.
By Dan Breitwieser, WCJB TV 20 News.
- Body of One Missing Gilchrist County Man Found Near Bank of Suwannee River
- Dead Body Found Near Ocala Church
- Plane Goes Down Near Gainesville Regional Airport
- Bodies Found Burned Near Trail ID'd as Students
- Missing Airboater's Body Found Near Boat Ramp
- Body Found in Gainesville
- Homeless Woman Murdered...Her Body Found in Gainesville Parking Lot
- Suspicious Luggage Found At Airport
- Two Stolen School Buses from Alachua County Found Near Jacksonville
- Police Investigating Missing Girl's Body Found in Levy County