Jail Expansion 101
A record high number of inmates. Something the Alachua County Sheriff says puts her staff in danger. Expansion has been promised for years, but they're not seeing any construction.
Government entities often move slower than the private sector, but it's not that slow with every government.
The Marion County Jail had expansion promised and funded by a one-cent sales tax. They got the money in 2004, started construction is 2005, and started moving in, in 2006.
"Funding is different in Marion County than Alachua County, but priorities are exactly what we need to focus on and this is a priority," said Alachua County Spokesperson Sergeant Keith Faulk. "It should be priority number one."
Alachua County Commissioners say it is a priority but money isn't as easy to come by. Marion County Sheriff's officials say residents there overwhelmingly support all law enforcement endeavors.
By Anne Imanuel, WCJB TV20 News
- Ocala Woman Celebrates her 101st Birthday
- Gift Returns 101
- 101 year old Gainesville Woman Sets Fitness Example
- Florida Governor Approves 3-Year Medicaid Expansion
- Docs, Nurses Push Lawmakers for Medicaid Expansion
- DMV Expansion In Alachua County
- Jungle Friends Expansion
- Jungle Friends Primate Sanctuary Wants Expansion
- Gainesville Based Optym Celebrates Expansion
- Reichert House Expansion