Kid in Car Law
But some parents say it's not appropriate to try and legislate what they call "common sense." Others say it'll make criminals out of people who make simple mistakes. But lawmakers say the bill is aimed at those who are truly careless.
Local law enforcement officers say the bill will help them. Sheriff Sadie Darnell, "Law enforcement is called upon way too many times actually to become the parent in many situations."
A 2005 study revealed temperatures outside a car could be in the 70s. But temperatures inside the car could climb to almost 115 degrees within an hour.
The bill makes leaving a child unattended or unsupervised in a car a second-degree misdemeanor and in some cases a third-degree felony.
By Gavin Johnson, WCJB TV20 News
- New Law Could Help Kids Having Allergic Reactions in School
- Marion County Woman Arrested for DUI with Three Kids in Car
- Florida Lawmakers Pursuing a Ban Against Smoking with Kids in the Car
- Alachua Car Seat Station Helps Parents and Kids
- A Majority Of Parents Install Car Seats Incorrectly, Putting Kids At Risk
- Law Enforcement on the Lookout for Person Responsible for Setting Squad Cars on Fire
- Kids Helping Kids
- Kids Feeding Kids fights hunger
- Is Your Car Easy Prey For Crime? GPD Car Report Cards Can Tell You
- Serious car accident leaves woman trapped in her car under a tractor trailer