Expanding the Alachua County Jail
Tuesday, The Alachua County Commission approved the 168 bed expansion which also includes confinement cells.
County Manager Randall Reid says the 4.3 million dollar project will be completed in one year.
"The over population is not going to be solved by this one piece alone, it's a continued education and awareness process that I'm going though with the County Commission and I am a bit frustrated by it," says Sadie Darnell, Alachua County Sheriff. "But I am going to continue working on it."
The County Commission did not approve a temporary structure that would use portables to house inmates.
- Alachua County Jail Program Saving Money and Aiming To Change Lives
- The Budget Impacts Staff and Inmates at the Alachua County Jail
- A Crime Caught On Tape at the Alachua County Jail
- The Alachua County Jail Is Going Green
- Inmates at the Alachua County Jail Are Using Their "Time" Wisely
- $3 Million Worth of Problems at the Alachua County Jail
- Four Employees "Locked Out" of Alachua County Jail
- Study Ordered for the Alachua County Jail
- Alachua County Jail Study
- $179,000 Alachua County Jail Study Moves Forward