Expanding the Alachua County Jail
Tuesday, The Alachua County Commission approved the 168 bed expansion which also includes confinement cells.
County Manager Randall Reid says the 4.3 million dollar project will be completed in one year.
"The over population is not going to be solved by this one piece alone, it's a continued education and awareness process that I'm going though with the County Commission and I am a bit frustrated by it," says Sadie Darnell, Alachua County Sheriff. "But I am going to continue working on it."
The County Commission did not approve a temporary structure that would use portables to house inmates.
- Free lunch program expands to five schools in Alachua County
- Alachua County Man in Jail After Firing Shots at Wife's Boyfriend
- Alachua County Jail Rape Case Settled Out of Court
- Alachua County Jail Confirms First Swine Flu Case
- Alachua County Jail director selected for N.Y. Community College Hall of Fame
- Alachua County Man in Jail for Taking 3-year-old Boy
- Alachua County Jail Employee Resigns
- Big Changes at Alachua County Jail
- Visitors Can Talk to Alachua County Jail Inmates from their Living Rooms
- Alachua County Jail Inmate Attempts Suicide