With July being the worst month for boating accidents in the state. Florida Fish & Wildlife officers are stepping up their control. They say alcohol, people not paying attention to their surroundings, and not having the proper safety equipment all play a part in those accidents. But urge Florida boaters not to be too alarmed, by the boating accident statistics. Officer, Justin Alan, says, "It's definitely going to be higher then it is in a none costal states."
Summer is mating season for sturgeons and officers say they also play a part in accidents on the water.
Boaters should always have one life jacket per person, a fire extinguisher, a whistle or horn, and last but not least your registration.
By Gavin Johnson, WCJB TV20 News
- National Boat Safety Week Prompts Increased Patrol on Florida Waterways
- FWC Boating Safety for Memorial Weekend
- Florida Men's and Women's Diving Coach Donnie Craine Dies in Boating Accident
- FWC Warning Boaters Not To Boat Under the Influence
- Air Boat Debate Still Making Noise in Alachua County
- Boating On Memorial Day
- Memorial Day Weekend Boating
- Boating on Memorial Weekend
- Boating Death Sets Negative Tone For Holiday Weekend
- Hope Boat Ramp just in time for Summer