Alachua County Sheriff's Budget
Alachua County Commissioners met again Tuesday to discuss budget cuts.Â One major presentation at todays commission meeting was from the Sheriff's Office. Commissioners tried to figure out if hiring more deputies would be more economical than paying overtime.
Sheriff Sadie Darnell has asked for 48 additional deputies for the jail, 24 of them are not needed until the expansion to the jail is complete, but the other 24 are needed now.
"We need them yesterday because of the overcrowding situation at the jail our classification, booking staff, attention officers are stretched very very thin," says Sheriff Sadie Darnell. "They need to be supplemented by other full time positions to keep overtime costs down, to keep fatigue down, and to keep errors from being made."
The Alachua County Commission will hold two public hearings concerning the budget, September 5 and 19.
- Commissioners want less drug possession arrests, cut sheriff's budget
- Deputies: string of burglaries span four counties
- ONLY ON 20: Budget appeal leaning in favor of Darnell
- County commissiners reduce sheriff's budget
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputy on administrative leave for dating violence incident
- Alzhemier's Bracelet Programs Keep Track of Elderly
- Lt. Jack Jacobs enters sheriff's race
- Darnell appeals budget in Tallahassee
- Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell: Full Interview