Alachua County Sheriff's Budget
Alachua County Commissioners met again Tuesday to discuss budget cuts.Â One major presentation at todays commission meeting was from the Sheriff's Office. Commissioners tried to figure out if hiring more deputies would be more economical than paying overtime.
Sheriff Sadie Darnell has asked for 48 additional deputies for the jail, 24 of them are not needed until the expansion to the jail is complete, but the other 24 are needed now.
"We need them yesterday because of the overcrowding situation at the jail our classification, booking staff, attention officers are stretched very very thin," says Sheriff Sadie Darnell. "They need to be supplemented by other full time positions to keep overtime costs down, to keep fatigue down, and to keep errors from being made."
The Alachua County Commission will hold two public hearings concerning the budget, September 5 and 19.
- Alachua County Sheriff's Deputies Create Workout for Fallen Officers
- Alachua County Sheriff Sadie Darnell: Full Interview
- Marion County Sheriff's Citizens Academy Back After 12 Years
- Marion County Sheriff's Office Granted More Money for Cars
- Runaway Mom Turns Herself In To The Alachua County Jail
- Alachua County Sheriff Defends Deputies
- Alachua County Pastor Arrested for Sexual Assault
- Union County Sheriff Laid to Rest
- Alzhemier's Bracelet Programs Keep Track of Elderly
- Alachua County's 2009 Budget