Gainesville City Commissioners Approve Location for Homeless Resource Center
After a year and a half of looking for the ideal location, Gainesville City Commissioners officially signed the lease on a building to be used as a homeless resource center at Monday's commission meeting.
But the decision didn't come without a lot of opposition.
City leaders proposed over 125 possible locations back in 2006, and ultimately suggested that the commission approve the recommended one at an abandoned warehouse on North Main Terrace. Dozens of businesses and homes are near the suggestion location, and those business owners and residents came out in full force Monday night to express their opinions.
A spokesperson told commissioners they have a lot of safety concerns, are worried about the possibility of increased crime in the area, and that they believe the homeless will not leave the area when the center closes down each day at 5 p.m.
In the past, commissioners had also considered sites in downtown Gainesville and on Waldo Road, and they revisited those options again on Monday.
But ultimately, by a vote of 5-2, commissioners decided to stand behind their original decision and approve the lease for the building on North Main Terrace.
The 3 year long lease starts May 1st of next year, but the association of business owners from the North Main area say they plan to take legal action against the city before that date.
By David Hamilton, WCJB TV20 News
- Gainesville City Commissioners Approve $100K Streetcar Study
- Fire at Wood Resource Recovery Site Limits Visibility in Northwest Gainesville
- State Approves Sale of Former Prison For Use as Homeless Center
- City Commissioners Approve (Part Of) Fire Fee
- City Commission Approves One-Stop Homeless Shelter
- Gainesville Commissioners Approve GRU Rate Increase
- Gainesville City Commissioner Wants To See Changes In East Gainesville Redevelopment
- Gainesville City Commissioners Consider New Roam Towing Regulations
- Gainesville City Commissioners To Vote On Butler Plaza Annexation
- New Gainesville City Commissioners