"A Night of Safe Celebration for Corey"
He died during a celebration exactly four months ago. Now the family and friends of Gainesville Police Lt. Corey Dahlem are enjoying what they call "A Night of Safe Celebration for Corey."
Lt. Dahlem died while gator fans celebrated a basketball championship in early April and tonight, the community is celebrating his life. Lt. Corey Dahlem's life was cut short when he was killed in the line of duty on April 3. Dahlem was hit by a drunk driver following UF's National Championship. Tonight, community members are making sure his memory lives on. Nearly 200 people came out for food, live music and fun to honor a very special man in the community. The father of two, Lieutenant Corey Dahlem is described as a happy man with a care free spirit.
Lt. Dahlem did more then just protect the community, he played the rhythm guitar for his band, 'The Crown Vix'. One of his band mates says Corey was a friend for more than eleven years.
"We enjoyed hanging out and having dinner and playing music. It was good," says Band Member Alam Gray.
Gray remembers Lt. Dahlem as his first supervisor at the Gainesville Police Department, and as an inspiration. Another special guest was in attendance in support of Lt. Dahlem.
"I think we support the community. I know we support G.P.D. and the job that they do. What a great job they do," says Urban Meyer.
Meyer gave the crowd what they wanted. He talked about the upcomming football season. There was also a silent auction. All the money raised at tonights event is going toward UF's Criminal Justice Scholarship Fund, in Lt. Corey Dahlem's honor.
By Thalia Hayden, WCJB TV20 News.
- "A Pillar in the Community." A Fire Victim's Family Speaks Out
- Family Spotlight 5/19/11 "A Recipe for Families"
- Officials Say, Baby Should've Been Taken To "Safe Haven"
- Official tout "Safe Havens" after baby found
- Operation "Night Light" Nabs Three Local Sex Offenders
- Dance Alive's "Bolero" Promises A Night Of Latin Entertainment
- Safe Roads, Safe Children
- Lt. Corey Dahlem Drive
- Running For Lt. Corey Dahlem
- Cold Case File: Corey Smith