Who Lives Next Door?
Andrew Karelas has some high profile family ties to the area.
He lives on Doc Karelas Drive--named for his father who for decades was the only doctor in the city. Karelas current serves on Newberry's Economic Development Committee, twice sat as City Commissioner and once ran unsuccessfully for mayor.
His neighbors can't believe his Marion County arrest.
Ginger Lindsay lives across the street on Doc Karelas Drive with her family--including her three kids. Her 11 year old son is the same age as the girl Karelas is charged with attempting to have sex with.
"It's kind of scary to know that someone right in front of me could do something like that," says Lindsay. "It makes me scared my kids could be in danger."
Lindsay says she never met Karelas but saw him mowing his yard several times. Her family just moved here in June from Gainesville.
"We were tired of the city life and all the crime that was in the apartment complex we were living in," says Lindsay. "We came out here so it would be less crime and come to find out it's just across the street."
We tried talking to Karelas but no one answered the door or returned our phone calls.
Lindsay says her backyard has a little privacy. But no matter where her kids play outdoors, she's going to be a lot more careful.
"I'm going to be watching their every move that they make and I'll be keeping an eye on my neighbors too."
Karelas is on paid administrative leaving pending an internal review at his job as Deputy Court Manager in the Alachua County Courthouses.
He was released from the Marion County Jail on a $50,000 bond. He will be read his charges and plead either guilty or not guilty at his arraignment on September 4th.
By Dan Breitwieser, WCJB TV20 News
- Meth Lab Next Door To Daycare
- Neighbors speak out after meth lab found next door
- Interfaith purchases next door abortion clinic
- Gainesville home an 'eyesore' for next-door neighbors
- Price Increase For Parking Permits for Those Who Live Near UF
- Ocala Man Who Disappeared From Assisted Living Facility Found Alive
- Door-to-Door Scammers Return, GPD Urges Caution
- Door to Door Scams Sweep Through the Area
- Cub Scouts Go Door-To-Door Collecting Food For Gainesville Ministries
- UF Law students go door-to-door to help Ex-Cons