Cops on Leave After Tasering Student
A question many want answered: were police justified in tasing UF Telecommunications Senior, Andrew Meyer? UF Police policy says the taser should be deployed as an additional police tool and is not intended to replace self-defense. It also says "the decision to use the taser depends on the actions and the critical distance of the threat."
The policy may seem subjective, but those issues are exactly what needs to be defined.
"I don't believe that as a lawyer the taser was justified," said Meyer's Attorney Rob Griscti.
But at least one witness said police were absolutely right to tase Meyer.
"I think he deserved it. I felt threatened. People around me felt threatened," said witness Nick Ballow.
The ordeal is something University officials are not taking lightly.
"The thing that I regret is that civil dialogue and civil discourse did not happen," said UF President Bernie Machen.
The University is taking the following actions:
1. Bringing in the FDLE to investigate
2. Placing Sergeant Eddie King and Officer Nicole Mallow on paid administrative leave..
3. Forming a discussion panel of students and faculty.
4. Conducting its own internal review.
5. And urging the State Attorney to determine charges against the student.
The State Attorney's office says it will take them some time to gather all the evidence.
"Video doesn't show the entire picture," said the State Attorney's Spokesman Spencer Mann.
No timeline is set for the FDLE or the State Attorney's investigation.
Until then, the pictures of Monday's event may leave the most lasting impression.
By Anne Imanuel, WCJB TV20 News.
- Student Taser Aftershocks
- Miami Beach Teen Dies Shortly After Being Tasered by Police
- Man accused of neglect after leaving boy alone
- Deputy Set To Leave Hospital After Shooting
- UF Vet School Professor on Administrative Leave After Voyeurism Arrest
- Soldier Leaves for Afghanistan after Home Burns Down
- Marion County firefighter on leave after abuse claims
- Suspect Caught After Leaving Wallet at Crime Scene
- U.F. Taser Reaction