By Gavin Johnson, WCJB TV20 News
Police are searching for a suspect after a shocking shooting early sunday morning in downtown Gainesville.
Two Gainesville men were shot while sitting in traffic on University Avenue.
WCJB sources tells us Jacksonville Jaguar player and former gator football standout Reggie Nelson was at the scene and may have witnessed the shooting.
Gainesville police say 28-year old Corey Smith and 19-year old Justin Glass were sitting in traffic on University Avenue around two thirty Sunday morning, when a man walked up and started shooting.
Glass was shot in the arm and smith is in critical condition after being shot in the head. Witnesses say the two men were leaving the nightclub "The Venue."
Police say it happened in a busy area so there are likely many witnesses but so far hardly anyone is coming forward.
If you think you know who the shooter is, you're asked to call Patty Nixon at the Gainesville Police Department. The number is 334-2483.
- Trayvon Martin March Downtown Gainesville
- Three Men Gunned Down in Downtown Ocala, Man Believed to be Responsible in Custody
- Man Accused of Rape in Downtown Gainesville Being Held on a Five Million Dollar Bond
- Suspicious Bag Found Downtown
- Car Burglaries in Downtown Gainesville
- Downtown Countdown Cancelled
- Homeless Population Decreasing in Downtown Gainesville
- Rise in Downtown Robberies
- Downtown March Calls For More Meals at St. Francis House
- Downtown Farmer's Garden