Child Abuse Update
Tonight a 22-year-old Alachua County man is behind bars for whipping and burning his two year old son. Now, the toddler's grandmother is speaking out. The father, Andrew James, was arrested yesterday and charged with aggravated child abuse. When Gainesville Police and E.M.S Workers showed up at his apartment, his two-year-old son, Terrell James, was badly burned. The toddler was rushed to a local hospital and is trying to recover tonight. The child's mother was too emotional to talk, but other family members had a lot to say. Susan Jackson is the two-year-old victim's grandmother.
"I can't hold my grandson. My grandson is going to suffer from this indefinitely," says Jackson.
Deputies say the initial investigation shows that the child had soiled himself and had received a spanking from the father his father, but the punishment didn't stop there. Deputies say Andrew James then put little Terrell in a scolding hot bath, leaving him in this condition. Terrell's grandma says he was then left alone, crying for more than twenty four hours. His family says they doubt the he'll ever be the same. Jackson says the father also has a five-year-old daughter from another relationship. D.C.F. has removed that child from the home. James is being held at the Alachua County jail, on a five hundred dollar bond. A price the family says doesn't fit the crime.
"We're asking the courts not to let him out and if they do decide to give him a bond, make a bond high enough that he can't pay," says Jackson.
The toddler is still in the burn unit at Shands at U-F. Officials from Shands say he's is in fair condition at this time. Deputies and D.C.F officials are still investigating. Thalia Hayden, WCJB TV20 News
- Child Abuse Update
- Child Abuse Prevention Task Force educates people about child safety
- Woman Charged With Child Abuse, After Suffocating 2-Month-Old Baby
- Lake City Man Arrested for Child Abuse
- Child Abuse Arrest
- Juvenile Correctional Facility Employee Accused of Child Abuse
- Motorcylists Ride To Raise Money For Child Abuse Victims
- Child Abuse Cases In Levy County
- Gainesville Man Accused Of Child Abuse, Arrested
- Florida's New Child Abuse Law Could Cause More Harm Than Good