Gator Football Player Killed In Accident
Michael Guilford, 19, and Ashley Slonina, 20, died in the crash.
Gainesville Police Officers say they were riding a motorcycle when it hit the median at Southwest 23rd Terrace and Old Archer Road. The accident happened around one o'clock Friday morning. Police say preliminary reports show that the motorcyle was going around 60 miles per hour before the crash. The posted speed limit in that area is 35 mph. Neither Slonina nor Guilford were wearing helmets. The final autopsy results could take weeks.
Slonina, of Lynn Haven, was a junior at UF, majoring in Political Science.
Guilford, of Quincy, walked onto the Gator football team. He was a defensive back, affectionately known as "Sunshine" for his long blond hair, similar to a character in the movie, "Remember the Titans". Guilford was a Social and Behavioral Sciences major.
The UF Athletic Department told WCJB that Athletic Director Jeremy Foley and Gator Head Coach Urban Meyer are both out of town today. Coach Meyer did release this statement on Friday:
"We are deeply saddened to learn of the tragic passing of Michael Guilford. He was an outstanding, quality young man that was loved, respected and admired by all of us. His unselfish efforts on helping his teammates get ready every week were only a glimpse of the person he was. We pray that God's blessing be with Michael's family, friends and teammates during this sad and difficult time."
Grief counselors are available to students on UF's campus. No memorial arrangements have been made at this time.
- Funeral Held For Football Player Killed At Fla. Hotel
- Police: Former Gator Football Player Accused Of Choking Girlfriend
- Gator Football Player Arrested For Driving Under The Influence
- Ocala man charged in shooting death of former Gator football player
- Woman Killed, 5 Year Old Seriously Injured in Car Accident
- Family, friends remember 7 children killed in tragic accident nine years ago today
- Students Killed in Car Accident
- Well-Known Chef Killed in Motorcycle Accident
- FHP: One Person Killed in Single-Car Accident On I-75, Rainy Weather to Blame
- Family Reacts to Loss of 12 yr old Boy Killed in Hunting Accident