Possible dogfighting in Alachua County?
By Gavin Johnson, WCJB TV20 News
Animal cruelty investigators are looking into a possible dogfighting ring in Alachua County. A pitbull was found yesterday in the city of alachua without a tag. But its not your typical stray.
The dog is malnourished and has lots of infected scratches. And animal cruelty investigators say those scars were caused by dogfighting. Investigators say the dog's face is probably swollen from an infection caused by untreated cuts. Now animal cruelty investigators are trying to find out why the dog was fighting.
Investigators at the Alachua County Sheriff's Office say dogfighting happens everywhere and the people fighting do everything they can to keep it discrete. Detective Rachel Stephens, says, "They start at one years of age, use treadmills because once a dog is scared up they don't want to take them to a park or walk it down the street because you can tell that it fights."
The owner of the stray pitbull has three days to come forward or it will be euthanized. Fighting a dog, hosting a dog fight, and attending a dog fight are all felonies.
- Man Who Stabbed Pit Bull To Death During Dogfight Arrested
- Who are the Inmates Working Around Alachua County?
- Higher Millage Rates in Alachua County?
- Dogfighting in Marion County
- More Dogfighters in Columbia County
- Mosquitos Invade Gilchrist County?
- Another Dog Could Be Victim Of Dogfighting
- No Sex Shops in Levy County?
- Huge Addition To Alachua County's Public Lands, Levy Prairie
- Commissioners want less drug possession arrests, cut sheriff's budget