Third Allegation of Sexual Assault Lands Live Oak Couple in Suwannee Jail
A Live Oak couple ran a daycare center in their home, now they sit in jail for allegations of sexual battery against a child back in May. But according to Suwannee investigators it isn't the first time allegations have been brought against the couple.
Their yard was once littered with toys of the children they took in for daycare, now there is no trace of the children,Â 58-year-old Steven Riggs and his wife Shirley cared for. Since Monday, they've been in the Suwannee County jail awaiting arraignment for sexual battery of a 5-year-old.
According to Lt. Wayne Musgrove of the Suwannee Sheriff's Office the alleged child victim has already provided statements to authorities,"She went to CPT, Child Protection Agency in Gainesville and was not able to relate a lot, the only information she relayed was Steve, she mentioned his name."
61-year-old Shirley Riggs who ran the daycare is charged with aiding and abetting the alleged assault, for failing to report what she'd seen. According to Musgrove, "Ms. Shirley walked in on them, according to the victim, saw what was happeningÂ told her husband to stop and have the victim leave."
This isn't the first time allegations have been made against the Riggs, according to Musgrove who's been investigating the case, since 2005 there have been two other reports of sexual abuse. This time the evidence may be stacked against them. The Riggs took in the children of mostly low-income families and factory workers and it took three allegations of child molestation before the state chose not to renew their license.
"There was not enough that we could go on that we could pursue charges," says Musgrove. As the case moves forward more children will be interviewed, some for a second time. "Of course they will be interviewed the prior children to see if they remember anything new or if they remember something," adds Musgrove.
While the Riggs don't have prior convictions they will sit in jail with a $500,000 bond each until their next court date.
By Stacey Samuel, WCJB TV20 NewsÂ
- A Scheme to Score Prescription Drugs Lands a Couple in Jail
- Man Jailed After Sexually Assaulting A Child
- Suwannee Man Arrested After Allegedly Killing Two Men
- GHS Teacher Arrested For Alleged Sexual Relationship With Student
- Police Still Looking for Man Suspected of Sexually Assaulting Teenage Girl
- New Sexual Assault Guidelines - One College Ahead of the Curve
- Search for Man Accused of Sexual Assault
- Girl Calls Sex Hotline, Expects Sexual Assault Counseling
- Man Arrested For Sexual Assault
- Man Arrested for Sexual Assault Against Children