Szabo was fired as deputy from the Clay County Sheriff's Office in December, 1997. A memo we obtained says he performed "below agency standards" and that he had a "poor attitude".
Next Szabo was recommended for termination from the Lake Mary Police Department in August, 1999. The memo says, among other things, Szabo lied about an incident. He ended up resigning there.
Szabo points out this all happened nearly a decade ago.
"I learned from the experience. Learned a lot today from Clay County Sheriff's Office. I don't think I'd be where I'm at today if it wouldn't have been for my learning experience," said Waldo Police Chief Mike Szabo.
Waldo city officials say Szabo has been a great asset to Waldo since he joined the force in 2000. Waldo city commissioners unanimously voted to name Szabo Chief in July of this year.
Anne Imanuel, WCJB TV20 News
- Police Investigating Death at Bivens Cove
- First Tee coaches mentor youth golfers in Ocala
- Local gymnast champion
- Marion County Boys & Girls Club has taken another budget cut
- Santa Fe College is looking to expand to downtown Gainesville
- Ocala man searching for help to pay big medical expenses
- Small Ocala businesses take a negative hit becaue of construction
- Cops, kids & firefighters day in Ocala
- Sizzlin' Summer Sweepstakes Results
- Thirteenth Street Walmart Moves Small Businesses Hope Big Chain Comes