Szabo was fired as deputy from the Clay County Sheriff's Office in December, 1997. A memo we obtained says he performed "below agency standards" and that he had a "poor attitude".
Next Szabo was recommended for termination from the Lake Mary Police Department in August, 1999. The memo says, among other things, Szabo lied about an incident. He ended up resigning there.
Szabo points out this all happened nearly a decade ago.
"I learned from the experience. Learned a lot today from Clay County Sheriff's Office. I don't think I'd be where I'm at today if it wouldn't have been for my learning experience," said Waldo Police Chief Mike Szabo.
Waldo city officials say Szabo has been a great asset to Waldo since he joined the force in 2000. Waldo city commissioners unanimously voted to name Szabo Chief in July of this year.
Anne Imanuel, WCJB TV20 News
- Part Two of U.F. President Bernie Machen's exclusive interview with WCJB
- GRU and WCJB Home Makeover Winner!
- WCJB Nominated For 3 AP Awards
- Silver Springs- WCJB Exclusive
- Former WCJB Owner Dies
- Security Camera Footage of Lake City Murder Obtained by WCJB
- U.F. President sits down with WCJB for exclusive interview
- Biden Talks to WCJB
- Mother Accused Of Abuse Talks With WCJB
- Police Investigating Missing Girl's Body Found in Levy County