Barney Feinberg said he had a big surprise waiting for him Sunday over his cup of morning coffee: police cars on his property.
"I've been here for 25 years and never had anything stolen," he said. "It was a total shock."
According to police officers however, three men - Thomas Boissonnault, 21, of Gilchrist County; Shad Daies, 36, of Columbia County and Jeffery Davis, 28, also of Columbia County - burglarized Gallop-in-Gary's in Columbia County early Sunday Morning. Officers said the men stole the store's safe and a Ford Expedition; police recovered the Expedition a few miles away and the safe in a second vehicle loaded with stolen property after a Police Officer saw the men return to the Alamo Motel in High Springs in a very suspicious manner.
"The original three individuals in the vehicle were returning from the scene of the crime at the time the officer saw them pull into the parking lot," Lt. Gordon Fulwood said.
Along with the Expedition and the safe, two Samurai swords were also stolen from Gallop-in-Gary's. Because these are stainless steel swords, Fulwood said it is possible the suspects could be charged with armed burglary.
"If you go in armed or you arm yourself while inside that residence, that constitutes an armed burglary," he explained.
All three men face charges of possession of stolen property. Investigators said Boissonault also has been linked to two residential robberies in Gilchrist County and is also charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon - for a weapon found in his possession that was reported stolen in Gilchrist County.
"I was surprised that it basically blossomed into as big of an investigation and encompassed several different agencies," Fulwood added.
Investigators from Alachua, Columbia and Gilchrist counties are asking for anyone with additional information on these three men to contact authorities immediately.
Feinberg said the most surprising part of the whole situation is that anything like this would happen in his neck of the woods.
"It just caught us off-guard. It's just always been real nice."
By Ted Latiak, WCJB TV20 News.
- Sex Sting Puts Seven Men Behind Bars
- Local Fugitives Behind Bars
- Unicycle Teacher Behind Bars on Sex Charges
- Gator Gymnast Behind Bars
- A Gainesville man is behind bars after exposing himself to two children.
- Fight With a Beer Bottle Puts One Man Behind Bars and Another in Critical Condition
- Quadruple Murder Suspect Behind Bars
- Loften High School Dean Behind Bars after Accused of Having Sex with Student
- Gainesville Man Behind Bars After Stabbing a Woman
- Shooting at Gainesville Apartment Complex Lands One Man Behind Bars