Holiday Blood Drive
North Central Florida drivers may be looking forward to having less traffic on the roads soon, as students head home for the holidays. But not everyone is looking forward to the population drop.Â Health officials say this is the season that worries them.
But a local mother of two says she realizes that the holidays are a perfect time to donate blood.
"We usually give blood during the holidays cause we have time off, so it's the best time to come in. We also feel like we're doing a good deed for the holidays," says Ellen Weintraup.
Weintraup says they donate blood on a regular basis, especially during the holidays.Â Local health officials say they wish more people felt this way.
"It's a desperate time right now," says Phlebotomist John Robertson.
Robertson says the blood center he works at, LifeSouth on Newberry Road, will do anything to bring donors in.
He says along with the holiday seasonÂ comes lots of traveling, and with a lot of traveling, comes a lot of accidents. Robertson says they're short on blood every holiday season.
He says it's a unique way people can get into the spirit of giving, and really make a difference.
and Weintraup says it's a small price to pay, for a very large reward; The possibility of saving a life.
Thalia Hayden WCJB TV20 News.
- Battle of the Sexes Blood Drive
- Blood Drive Draws Friendly Competition Among Rival Universities
- Santa Fe College holds blood drive
- Food Drive For The Holidays
- Bread of The Mighty's Holiday Drive in Full Swing
- GACAR Holiday Toy Drive
- Gainesville blood donors support victims of Orlando shooting
- Blood Banks Need Donations
- Blood In Bravo's SUV, Among Other Incriminating Evidence In The Aguilar Case
- NTSB: DUI Limit Should Be Lowered to 0.05% Blood-Alcohol Level