Man Arrested in Infant Death
The incident occurred Wednesday at the Forest and Village Green Apartments in Northeast Gainesville.
Six days later, Gainesville Police officers arrested the mother's 19-year-old boyfriend, Tony Servance Jr., who was watching the infant, Markel Barton.
Servance called 911 when the child went into cardiac arrest and was struggling to breath. Officers and Emergency Medical Technicians performed C.P.R. and transported Barton to Shands-AGH where he died of what was later determined to be blunt trauma to the body.
"Because it was an 11 month old, and 11 month old infants just don't die naturally, we were awaiting autopsy results," Gainesville Police Lt. Keith Kameg explained. "About three or four days ago, we got the autopsy results back and it was clear to our detectives and the medical examiner that this 11 month old died a death that was suspicious in nature."
According to investigators, there was no indication of foul play initially, but as the investigation moved forward, there were inconsistencies with Servance's statements and the injuries on the child.
Officers arrested Servance on one count of murder; they do not expect any additional charges to be placed against other family members.
- Man Guilty Of Infant's Death
- Ocala mother charged in infant death
- Man Who Stabbed Pit Bull To Death During Dogfight Arrested
- Alachua County Man Arrested for Allegedly Shooting Neighbor to Death
- Man Charged With Murder After Another Man, Dog Found Stabbed to Death
- Fla. Woman Arrested in Death of Fiance in Tennessee
- 2 Arrests Made in Death of Bullied Florida Girl
- Fugitive Link To Mississippi State Death Arrested In Gainesville
- Arrest Made in Archer Hit-And-Run Death
- Suspect in Death of Lake City Man is at Large