NAACP Questioning Hire
By Gavin Johnson, WCJB TV20 News
After going nearly two months without an assistant superintendent, the Columbia County School Board has finally filled the position. Last night board members voted four to one to hire Alex Carswell from Leon County.
But some members of the NAACP are questioning the hiring process and may even take it to court. Today the president of the NAACP Chapter in Columbia County showed us documents he says prove Alex Carswell was hired illegally. Mayo says the job wasn't advertised, which would be a local and state violation. He says the hiring process was done using "the good ole boy," system. But the superintendent says otherwise. Sam Markham, says, "At the administrative level from assistant principals up through assistant superintendent, the HRMD allows the superintendent to choose applicants from the leadership pool."
The new assistant superintendent will be introduced at the next school board meeting... which will be tuesday november 27th.
- NAACP Awards Banquet Recognizes Community Leaders
- NAACP Concerns Over Biomass Plant
- Gainesville Officials Are Prepared If Zimmerman Verdict Protests Happen
- Zimmerman Verdict: African American Reaction
- Doorstep Delivery, KKK Flyers in Alachua County
- Party Foul
- Lake City Police Chief and City Manager Aren't Going Anywhere
- Voters Discuss Hot Topics at "Souls to the Polls"
- NAACP Threatens Legal Action Over Ocala Saggy Pants Law
- Ocala City Council Does Not Repeal Saggy Pants Law, May Decriminalize It