Know Your Towing Rights
by Shani Muhammad WCJB TV 20 News
Â Â A disabled Gainesville woman says she stopped to mail some letters and her car was towed. She says the towing company violated her rights. Gainesville police say it takes just five minutes for a tow truck operator to drag your car away, and sometimes they are in the wrong. So what can you do?
Â Â The disabled woman filed a complaint with G-P-D. That's your first step. but knowing your rights is important too. You should also call the communications center at 955-1818 and find out if your vehicle has been trespassed towed.
Â Â With parking spots at a premium, people who park illegally can hurt a business owner's bottom line, but Erin Rosas says drivers aren't always wrong. "I have a handicapped parking decal. They don't just hand those things out." Ultimate Towing gave Rosas a ticket, but she says her handicap decal proves that she had up to 4-hours to be there.
Â Â Lt. Peter Bachhaus investigates towing complaints for GPD. "Many times students have used the very same lot to park and eat at nearby restaurants and to go to class. That's why they initiated trespass towing so the spaces would be available for the patrons of the post office."
Â Â Â Lt. Bachhaus says he's handled 56 complaints since August from drivers who've been towed ...42 of those claimed they were towed improperly... and some complaints alleged extreme rudeness and described towing as predatory. Tow companies are required by law to accept cash, credit or debit, andknowing your rights may just protect you in the future.
- The Affordable Care Act: What You Need To Know
- Your Health:The Right Way To Wash Hands
- The Right New Year's Resolution For You
- Advantage Towing gets 10 citations for Illegal Towing
- Right Place, Right Time...Cop Catches Child Abuse
- Gainesville City Commissioners Consider New Roam Towing Regulations
- Triple-A Announces Free 'Tow to Go' Program for Cinco de Mayo
- Gainesville Towing Rates Going Up
- Gainesville's Advantage Towing Under Investigation
- Advantage Towing Owner Arrested for Stealing Scooters